Andreas M. Rizzi is Professor for Analytical Chemistry at the University of Vienna and Head of the Mass Spectrometry Center of the Faculty of Chemistry.
He was born in Vienna, Austria, is married with Christa Rizzi having two adult children. He received his Master degree in Theoretical Chemistry in 1975, and his Ph.D. in Analytical Chemistry in 1978 from the University of Vienna. After a brief period as visiting scientist at the Pharma-Research-Laboratory of Höchst in Germany, he habilitated for Analytical Chemistry in 1991 at the University of Vienna and became Professor for Analytical Chemistry there in 1996. In 2008 he received a Honorary Doctor degree of the University of Arad, Romania. He is Senior Deputy Editor of "Electrophoresis" and from 2004 to 2013 he edited the journal's annual special issues on "Bioanalysis". Over the last ten years he served as chairman of the annual mass spectrometry meeting "MassSpec-Forum-Vienna".
His main research activities cover combined electrophoretic, chromatographic and mass spectrometric techniques like CZE-MS/MS, capillary HPLC-MS/MS, 2D-Electrophoresis MALDI-MS and its application to bioanalysis, particularly therapeutic glycoprotein analyses and disease associated proteomics and glycoproteomics. Another topic is chiral analysis by CZE and HPLC. He is Author/Coauthor of more than 85 papers in Peer-reviewed journals and of several book chapters. He is extensively involved in teaching activities.
His private hobbies are classical music and ancient cultures, an additional areas of interest is brain evolution.
- Ground school, college and arbitur (1968) in Vienna,
- Study of Chemistry at the University of Vienna
- Master degree (Theoretical Chemistry) 1975
- Ph.D. (Analytical Chemistry) 1978
- Lecturer at the Institute of Analytical Chemistry, University of Vienna, (1978) and Assistant Professor
- Visiting scientist at the Pharma-Research-Laboratory of Höchst (Germany) in 1986 Inauguration (Habilitation) for Analytical Chemistry (1991)
- Associate Professor for Analytical Chemistry at the University of Vienna (1996) Head of Mass Spectrometry Center of Faculty of Chemistry (Univ. of Vienna) (since 2010).
- Honorary Doctor degree of the University of Arad (2008)
- Bioanalysis with use of combined electrophoretic, chromatographic and mass spectrometric techniques
- CZE-MS/MS, capillary HPLC-MS/MS, 2D-Electrophoresis with MALDI-MS Application to glycoprotein analyses and disease associated proteomics and glycoproteomics
- Chiral analysis by CZE and HPLC
- Concepts for understanding chromatographic retention by modeling intermolecular interactions.
- Author/Coauthor of about 85 papers in Peer-reviewed journals
- Ground courses and advanced courses in mass spectrometry and separation sciences for chemists and molecular biologists
- Guest-Professor at the University of Salzburg
- Teaching at various post-graduate training courses and workshops
Other scientific activities
- Senior Deputy Editor of "Electrophoresis" and Editor of the journal's annual special issues on "Bioanalysis"
- Chairman of the annual meeting "MassSpec-Forum-Vienna"