Professor Laurens Katgerman received his degree in Applied Physics from the University of Groningen, The Netherlands in 1974. From 1974-1984 he was Senior Lecturer (Associate Professor) at the Department of Metallurgy, Delft University of Technology, The Netherlands with research activities in the area of solidification science in particular rapid solidification processing. For a year (1979-1980), he worked on DC casting of aluminium alloys at the Alcoa Technical Centre, Pittsburgh, USA as a visiting scientist.
He joined Alcan International Ltd., Banbury Laboratories, UK in 1984 as Principal Scientist, responsible for process metallurgy, process modelling and advanced materials processing research areas. His other responsibilities at Alcan included supervision of scientists directly (project work) or indirectly (performance appraisals, quality and scientific content of research work) and strategic developments in large scale computing and metals processing. From 1991 to 1994, he was appointed Special Professor at the University of Nottingham, UK. He returned to Delft University, The Netherlands in April 1992 as Professor of Metallurgy and Head of the Department of Light Metals Processing. From January 1997 to April 1998, he served as Dean of the Faculty of Applied Sciences. He is an elected member of the Koninklijke Hollandsche Maatschappij der Wetenschappen (Royal Holland Society of Sciences and Humanities) since 1993. His research interests are aluminium technology, metals processing technology, in particular process modelling at different length scales. As of January 2010 Katgerman formerly retired from Delft University to continue, as emeritus professor and director of his consultancy company K.A.T. (Katgerman Aluminium Technology).
Professor Laurens Katgerman has supervised 30 PhD projects. In addition he has more than 200 ISI cited papers and publications, 4 patents. Currently Prof. Katgerman has a Hirsch (h) - factor 27. With co-authors Prof. D.G. Eskin and Dr. M. Lalpoor, Prof. Katgerman was the recipient of the 2011 TMS Light Metals Subject Award. From September 2011to September 2014, he was elected Vice-Chair of the COST Domain Committee Materials, Physics, and Nano Sciences (MPNS).
External Functíons Professor Laurens Katgerman Current & Recent
- Elected Member Koninklijke Hollandsche Maatschappij der Wetenschappen (Royal Holland Society of Sciences and Humanities) Haarlem (1993-)
- Chairman Jury European Aluminium Award, Dusseldorf, Germany (2002-)
- National Delegáte & Vice-Chair COST Domain Committee Materials, Physics & Nano Sciences (2006-2014)
- Chairman & President BONIJM Foundation (2006-)
- International Evaluation Panel of the Research Units of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences (2009)
- Editorial Advisory Board Encyclopaedia of Aluminium and Its Alloys (2012-)
- International Engineering and Computer Science Panel of the Latvian Research Assessment Exercise (2013)
- Scientific Committee MCWASP XIV: Modeling of Casting, Welding and Advanced Solidification Processes, Awaji Island, Japan (2015)
- Chairman International Engineering Science Panel of the Lithuanian Research Assessment Exercise (2015)
- Advisory Board EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Sustainable Materials and Manufacturing, UK (2015-)
Chairman Light Metals Cluster & Member Programme Council (NIMR, M2i) (1997-2011)
Chairman Dutch Metals Association (VEMET) (1998-2010)
Non-executive director ESHOVA BV (2000-2011)
Board member Aluminium Centre Netherlands (2005-2010)
Conference co-chairman MCWASP XII, Vancouver (June 2009)
Conference co-chairman INALCO 2010, Eindhoven (June 2010)
Aluminium Cast House Technology 2005-2009, Technical Committee, Sydney
EPSRC Peer Review College (London, UK) (2006-2010)
Scientific Committee 6th International Conference on Solidification and Gravity (SG’13), Miskolc - Lillafúred Hungary (2013)