- Sept. 2008 Honorary Doctors Degree Bulgarian University of Food Technologies, Plovdiv, Bulgaria
- April 2008 Emeritus Professor in Food Chemistry, Wageningen University
- 2007 – present Advisory Board Anton Jurgens Institute, Den Bosch.
- Jan 2007-2010 Flanders’ FOOD Scientific Advisory Board,
- Juli 2006 - present Director Carbohydrate Competence Center (CCC) , Groningen
- Jan 2006- 2012 Director Smaaklessen/SchoolGruiten, Ministry of EL&I
- 2006 – 2012 Member Advisory Committee Cyprus University of Technology.
- 2005 –2010 Consultant Wessanen Nederland BV
- Sept. 2004-Jan.2007 Chief Scientific Officer Agrotechnology and Food Science Group
- June 2004 Honorary Doctors Degree Catholic University Louvain, Belgium
- 2004 –present Member Board European Master in Food Studies
- 2002-2004 Scientific Director of Agrotechnology and Food Sciences Group Wageningen-UR
- 2000- 2002 Director Department of Agrotechnology and Food Sciences, Wageningen University
- 1998-2000 Director Department of Food Technology and Nutritional Sciences, Wageningen University
- 1995-1998 Chairman Cluster “ Food Science and Nutrition”, Wageningen University
- 1994-2004 Management Team/Board Centre of Protein Technology (WAU/TNO)
- 1989-2008 Professor of Food Chemistry Department of Agrotechnology and Food Sciences Wageningen University
- 1986-1989 Senior Lecturer (UHD, equivalent to Associate professor) Department of Agrotechnology and Food Sciences Wageningen University
- 1987 Part time (1 day per week) 'ad interim' Head of Application Laboratory "Food and Fine Chemicals, AVEBE, Foxhol, The Netherlands
- 1983-1984 Visiting Consultant H.J. Heinz Co., Pittsburgh, USA.
- 1978-1986 Senior staff member (equivalent to Associate professor) Department of Agrotechnology and Food Sciences Wageningen University
- 1971-1978 Junior staff member (equivalent to assistant professor) Department of Agrotechnology and Food Sciences Wageningen University
- 1974-1976 Research Associate in Plant Biochemistry with Prof. Dr. P.Albersheim, Department of Chemistry, University of Boulder, Colorado, USA.
- 1968-1971 Research assistant carrying out Ph.D. research. Ph.D. Degree 1972. Title thesis: Characterisation of pectin lyases on pectin’s and methyl oligogalacturonates.
- 1961-1968 Student in Food Science, Chemical-Biological Orientation. Major: Food Chemistry, Minors: Food Microbiology, Physical and Colloidal Chemistry.
- 1955-1961 Bernardinus College (Lyceum, HBS-b) at Heerlen.
Main research Areas
- Chemistry and Enzymology of Food Polysaccharides.
- Plant cell wall biochemistry.
- Processing of raw materials of plant origin.
- Oligo- and Polysaccharides as Food Ingredient.
- Raw material utilisation and improvement.
- Food Proteins.
- Author or co-author of ca. 425 scientific publications in peer reviewed international journals.
- ISI Highly Cited, H- index 60
- Ca. 65 scientific publications as conference proceedings.
- Supervisor of 70 Ph.D’s.
- Ca. 40 other publications, 16 book chapters, co-editor of 5 books, Co-inventor 7 patents.
- (Lists available)
- Numerous lectures as invited speaker in many countries at Universities, Companies, Symposia and Congresses. (List available of International Symposia and Congresses).
Memberships Dutch Royal Chemical Society
Professional Organisations & Advisory Boards
- Dutch Society for Nutrition and Food Technology (Vice-Chairm.,‘87 to ‘95):
- On behalf of this Society Dutch Delegate to:
- -IUFoST (International Union of Food Science and Technology, till 2000).
- -EFFOST (European Federation of Food Science and Technology, (till 1998).
- Dutch Biotechnological Society
- American Institute of Food Technologists
- Representative of the Netherlands in the Federation of European Chemical Societies – Food Chemistry Division, 1989 - 2005
- Nutrition Counsel of Dutch Government,1989 – 1995:
Member Committee “Addition essential nutrients to foodstuffs” (1991 –1993).
Member Committee “Ingredient replacers in foodstuffs” (1993 – 1995)
Member Committee “Dietary Fibre” 2004-2006
- Task Group Technology of Netherlands Council of Agricultural
- Research, ca.1990 – 1995.
- Advisory Board FAIR/CPRA, DWK, Ministry of LNV, 1996 –1998.
- Advisory Board Processing, Nutrition and Health, NRLO, 1995-1997.
- Member Program Committee Innovative Research Program “Carbohydrates (IOP-K)”, 1987-1993.
- Member Program Committee Innovative Research Program “Industrial Proteins” (IOP-IE), 1996 >
- Member to Program Counsel Wageningen Center for Food Science
- Advisor Board Education Institute T&V (OWI T&V), 1995-1998
- Board member Graduate School Process Technology
- Member Program Counsel Center for Biosystems Genomics
- Advisory Committee LiFT: Graduate School for Food Production, Sweden
- Graduate School International Advisory Board, LMC, Copenhagen, Denmark , 1999, 2002, 2005, 2000
- Member Evaluation Committee VTT, Helsinki, Finland,
- Member Evaluation Committee ETH Zűrich, Switzerland,
- Member Evaluation Committee IFR, Norwich, UK,
- Taskgroup “AgriFoodValley”, InnovatieNetwerk Groene Ruimte, 2001
- Mitglied der Senatskommission zur Beurteilung der gesundheitlichen
- Unbedenklichkeit von Lebensmittel (SKLM) der Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft. 2000 -2004
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the PRA, INRA, 2005 -2007
- Member Review Team, Panel 14, University of Lund, Sweden. 2008
- Member Expert Committee Canadian Foundation for Innovation 2008
- Member Working group 6th Framework Programme; Eurocrop
- Member review Team UNIK Research-Food, Fitness & Pharma
- Member Review Team Chalmers University, 2013, Sweden
- Member Food Review Team University of Cork 2015, Ireland
Editorial Board Scientific Journals
- Membership editorial boards of ca 10 international scientific journals on Fd Sciences, Carbohydrates, Biotechnology and Molecular Nutrition (2003 – present).